Washington DC area query

    ( I am sending this posting a second time because I never saw it appear
in the Digest.  I touted this dealership in a previous email and wanted to
get this info out to temper/balance that previous recommendation.)

    I would be interested to see if anyone else in the DC area who uses
Tischer BMW has seen the following:

    I have been taking my 96 328 (purchased from Tischer BMW, in 1999 with
22,000 miles as a Certified Pre-owned vehicle) to Tischer because it was
still under warranty.  Just about to hit 50,000 miles and the end of the
warranty, I took it back to Tischer - where it had been serviced - for an
Inspection I service.

    Not long ago Tischer was purchased by another automotive group (Herb
Gordon?) and I have seen a marked change in things there since.

    The place now seems openly and crassly motivated by how much/many
services they can sell you.  Man, they wanted to sell me new tires, an
alignment, replace my shifter knob because (it has what I consider a tiny
amount of play), one of the dash lights ($82), etc., etc.  They were just
overpowering in their effort to sell, sell, sell.  I did not see that before
the dealership changed hands.

    On the other hand, since my 328 was there being serviced, I asked the
service rep to have one off their salesman look at it and let me know what
kind of a deal he was prepared to make if I turned it in for a 5 series
wagon on their lot.

    Never even got the courtesy of a call back.

    I was so put off by the changes at Tischer that I have decided instead
to watch the Roundel, the Capital Area BMW club's magazine, and the local
papers for used BMWs vice buying a CPO vehicle from a dealer to whom I would
then be obliged to return it for servicing until its warranty expired.  With
a good used car purchased from a private seller, I would instead go to one
of the excellent local BMW mechanics for servicing.

    That's what I did with my other car, a 92 525i purchased at the end of
its warranty with 50,000 miles on the clock.

    Cheers,
    Seeker