Re: E30 Fuel Pressure Damper

In a message dated 10/16/2002 9:55:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> "Bruce Barnett" <bcb@domain.elided> wrote:
> >The fuel pressure damper (this is what I've been told
> >it is) on an E30 is a small cylinder located in the fuel
> >system immedately forward of the fuel filter (on the
> >engine side of the filter).  My questions are, what
> >does the fuel pressure damper do, and what happens if
> >you run without it (replaced by a straight piece of fuel
> >hose)?

I believe what is being described is found on '84 and '85 318's.  From memory
of having a cousin with a 318 that was always in several stages of disrepair,
the damper is a "muffler."  Apparently, the "rush" of fuel for the
four-banger was considered too loud being that it could be heard from the
passenger compartment on a perfectly "new" car.  Just replace the entire fuel
line.  They all leak due to corrosion.  The location was horrible.

Rodney

Word's of wisdom usually don't come cheap.  Typically right after you have
screwed up something irreversible.