Re: 1997 328i Cabriolet Battery

In general, the only issues you face with battery selection are draw or
capacity (CCA - Cold Cranking Amps) and physical dimensions.

Your battery will probably be labelled as 12v, 340A, 75 Ah and 650 CCA -
with a physical dimension of about 12.5" x 7", and the negative post on
top surface, the bottom left corner.

When it came time to replace my last battery (in my '98 328i), since I
wasn't too keen on paying the US$160 price to the dealer for a battery
with a 1 year warranty, I simply went to the auto parts store (AutoZone)
to look for something comparable. What I found was a 650 CCA battery that
was simply 0.5" narrower. (If I could remember the Group number I'd tell
you, but can't off the top of my head.)

Works great, no difference - and cost was US$55 for a battery with a 5yr
warranty.

Drew

It appears that on 10/15/2002 9:10 PM, Alan Jaskolka at ajaskolka@domain.elided
said:

>The model for my cabriolet is called a "Group 92", vibrations proof etc.
>
>Unfortunately, Douglas told me they do not sell this battery through their
>normal distribution channels.  I spoke to 2 distributors today, here in
>Toronto
>and both confirmed they have no stock.  One of them thought a "Group 93"
>would
>do just fine and he could sell me one, installed for CDN$120 plus taxes.  The
>dealer price: $220

End of bmw-digest V9 #2264