BMW 525e/528e auto box q

Hi all.  I have a '87 model which I'm rebuilding the box on.  I need to
make it lock up in 3rd as well as top for my application.  I have the
non-electronic version and have come unstuck with this, can't find a way
of doing it - even Brett hasn't got any ideas.  My question is a, do you
guys have any ideas and b, if I swapped the box for an electronic
control version can I manually just operate the lockup via electric
over-ride in 3rd?  And will the box ecu interface with my engine ecu or
will be missing a load of parts, any problem in doing this conversion???
Changing the diff ratio or going manual isn't an option.

Cheers for advice,
Greg.