baby car

We've recently discovered that my wife is "with child" and this blessed
event brings us to a car-upgrade crossroad.  I currently drive is an E30
2door which will soon be out of the question.  I also live in NY, NY which
makes having a second car all but impossible.  So before I buy a minivan
and subsequently hang myself, I'd like to know if I can make it work with
either an E36 4-door or an E34 5-Series.

So, to all the digesters who have had or have new-borns or toddlers with
these cars:  Are the trunks large enough for all the baby stuff?  Can one
get the car seat easily in and out of the front and back seats?  Is there
enough of a difference in interior dimensions that would warrant a purchase of
the 5-series E43?

It wouldn't be a daily driver; that goes to the 6-train.  It'll be the "get
out to the relatives on weekends" kind of drive.

Any insight out there would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Tobin,
Who will sorely miss his '88 325iS

Rob,

We have four boys and a brand new little girl and have owned a 91 318i since
our first was born.  we also owned a full size van and a 92 318ic.  Here are
my observations.

1 - You will carry as much stuff as you have room to carry.  If you have a
van, you'll fill it up.  If you have an E30 trunk, you'll fill it up (but will
have a lot less to carry when you get there).

2 - The back seat is for the kids so don't sweat the two doors.  Yes, it will
be more difficult to put the baby seat in, but you'll get used to it.

3 - Don't do the mini van.  Go with a used 5 series wagon if you want more
room (see rule 1).  It's much safer and easier to drive.

I wish you success!
Bill