baby car

We've recently discovered that my wife is "with child" and this blessed
event brings us to a car-upgrade crossroad.  I currently drive is an E30
2door which will soon be out of the question.  I also live in NY, NY which
makes having a second car all but impossible.  So before I buy a minivan
and subsequently hang myself, I'd like to know if I can make it work with
either an E36 4-door or an E34 5-Series.

So, to all the digesters who have had or have new-borns or toddlers with
these cars:  Are the trunks large enough for all the baby stuff?  Can one
get the car seat easily in and out of the front and back seats?  Is there
enough of a difference in interior dimensions that would warrant a purchase of
the 5-series E43?

It wouldn't be a daily driver; that goes to the 6-train.  It'll be the "get
out to the relatives on weekends" kind of drive.

Any insight out there would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Tobin,
Who will sorely miss his '88 325iS