re: speculative seat heater wiring

Tom:

I went through a similar exercise when I removed my E28 sport seats for
repair.
These are fully electric for movement, however did not have the optional
heating pads.
I too found an unused cable/plug coming out from under the forward
carpet section, and assumed it was pre-wired for the heaters.  However
after extensive continuity testing and physical search, I could not
identify where these wires showed up under dash, and could not establish
any continuity whatsoever to ground or power.

When I decided to add aftermarket heating pads, I found it much easier
to add new wire from scratch, sourcing it at the "ignition switched
accessory power fuse".  In the E28 center console, the two pry-out
rectangular covers, which I thought were just anchor screw access, are
used for seat heater switches in the M5 which came with the heaters.
Since this is an inconvenient location, I Dremeled new switch postions
in front of the seat control switches.

It will cost you about $75 per seat using the pads/wiring from
www.ipdusa.com .

Steve Poland
Portland Or.