['99 M Roadster] BMW Alarm / Central lock not working

Hi all...

I have a '99 MZ3 with the dealer installed BMW alarm.  I am having
some problems with the interaction between the alarm and the central
locking mechanism.

It has been working fine for about a year. Today, the alarm still
chirps correctly (one for arm and two for disarm), but the door locks
are not locking.

If I lock the car by either pressing the lock into the door or by
using the key and then I use the alarm remote, the following happens:

1) If the doors are locked and I disarm, they unlock.

2) If the doors are locked and I arm, they also *unlock*!

Under no circumstances could I get them to lock. The fuses look
good. I recall reading something about this, but I've searched the
archives and can't find it. Does anyone have a clue as to what might
be the problem?

Someone mentioned that I could have a bad diode, but I am not sure
where it is located or how to get at it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

/greg

- --