Re: removing starter fuse on '96 E36?

Brendon <brendonm@domain.elided> wrote:

> I'm going away for an extended period, and while I live in a
> safe neighborhood I'm wondering if it's possible to remove
> the starter fuse as another precaution against theft.
> On a lot of older cars, this is a given.
> But I don't know enough about how the factory anti-theft alarm
> works (I also have a Lo-Jack system installed -- yes I am
> Mr. Paranoid).

Brendon,
For starters your '96 car is equipped with EWS (driveway protection).
Without one of the four keys that were given to your during car's delivery,
the DME will not start the engine.
Than there is the 'CODE' feature of your OBC. True, it can be easily
defeated, but it will stop most novices.
Than you have Lo-Jack.

> Is it even possible to remove an E36 starter fuse?

Sure.
But why stop there? Pull of them suckers out. Pull the relays as well.

But the could still tow it away...
So remove all four wheels as well and leave it standing on the jack stands.
Now it's not going anywhere!

> If so, what are the consequences involving the anti-theft system?

None, other than rendering it utterly redundant.

> Or any other system in the car.

Depends entirely on the # of fuses you pull.

alex f