RE: e36 key cylinder won't turn

My '95 325i had to have the ignition switch replaced about 4K ago.  When
it was failing, the key would sometimes just spin in the ignition and
not stop at a detent or catch the starter.  For a while, it would only
work if I inserted the key in aligned with one particular part facing
up, and it would not work if I inserted the key in upside-down from that
position.  Eventually, it got worse and spun around all the time.  FWIW,
my mechanic said it was a fairly common problem.

As a side note, interesting related story.  Weeks after it was replaced
with a new coded ignition switch and new key, I took the car one day and
it left me stranded at a mall parking lot in 100 degree weather.  I
thought it was the battery, or the starter, or the computer, or
whatever.  I waited for hours for a tow, and when the jerk finally got
there he bent my bumper in the process.   I was so pi%$ed!  Then I had
to ride with him for 35 miles while he told me what pieces of junk BMWs
are, and how his '69 Chevelle was really the ultimate driving machine
(as long as you just go straight).  So then after it's at the mechanic's
and off the truck, when I'm on the phone arguing with the tow truck
owner about the damage, my mechanic comes over and asks me if I tried
the valet key, which of course I didn't even consider.  Well, he did,
and it started right up. Turned out that the computer chip in the new
key had died, and that was that.  I got a new key for free, and ordered
another spare to hide in the glove box.  Boy did I learn a lesson the
hard way.

Thanks,
Ed
http://lightandsilver.com