re: Advice on 1984 325e

Hey Rick,

$2000 seems a little steep to me, as you probably will be putting in some
duckets for miscellaneous repairs over the next few years.  Does your buddy
have the maintenance history of the car? That can help you estimate what
kind of money you may need to put aside for future maintenance.

I don't know  how mechanically inclined you are, but for $40 for the Bentley
repair manual for the e30 series, one can save hundreds, sometimes
thousands, over the life of ownership by doing the repairs him/herself.

I saw a post about 'at 140k, such and such need replacement'. I wouldn't put
too much stock in opinions like that myself, as I have seen  e30's go over
160k with no major problems except a driveshaft replacement at 125k.
Routine maintenance of brakes, oil changes and belt swaps make these cars
last a long time. I sold my 88 e30 with 165k for $4500 in Jan, and the new
owner has put on 13k with no problems to date.

Every car is individual, and needs to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis,
though.  Good luck in whatever you decide!!

- --Mike Coffer

st louis

93 325i, 118k ---still humms and purrs like brand new 8-)