Re: E36 Rear seatback removal

Drew Mouton <drew@domain.elided> wrote:
> I'm dissembling the interior of an E36 ('98 328i sedan), and am
> somewhat embarassed to ask what seems to be to be a simple quesion:
>
> How do I remove the rear seatback?
>
> My other 3-series' all had a rear seat cushion that popped up, then
> two bolts against the rear seat wall that held the seatback in place.
> This one has a seat cushion that pops up, but I can't see what's
> keeping the seatback in place.

Drew,
I have split/folding rear seats. The side panels are clipped in place (pull
the top towards yourself and lift straight up) while the folding center
pieces are hinged to the floor. Not sure about one piece backs.
If you have the E36 Bentley manual (www.rb.com), I'm pretty sure it covers
the subject.

> There are a pair of 'prongs' that look like they slide vertically
> into some seat support clips...but it also looks like I should
> be able to simply slide the seatback up and out. And I can't.
>
> Am I missing a bolt or two somewhere? My 3-seriss '89-98 Bentley book
> doesn't seem to cover this.

Is that the E30 or E36 Bentley?
I clearly remember reading about my split rear seats in the E36 Bentley.
Interior section, IIRC. I can double check when I get back home.

alex f