Wheel fitment for E36?

Is there an archive or a Web site that gives an explanation of what newer
factory wheels will fit an E36 (in my case, a '96 328i)?  be I ask because I
went to eBay to see what kind of wheels were being sold, and WOW! Too many
choices! Most were replica-type dealers listing 18 and 19" monstrosities in
what has to be the eBay version of spam. I have learned that the E46 wheels
(at least 16 or 17") should work on the E36. A lot of sellers were suggesting
that a Z3 wheel from 1996-2000, or 2001, would fit an E36.  Even an E39 2002
525i wheel was mentioned as fitting 'most' 3 series. I seem to remember
reading that a 2001 330Ci would be a different fit.
Am I making this more difficult than it really is?
Thanks,
Don Bredle