Re: Wheel fitment for E36?

"Bredle, Donald L." <bredledl@domain.elided> wrote:
> Is there an archive or a Web site that gives an explanation of what
> newer factory wheels will fit an E36 (in my case, a '96 328i)?

Don,
The answer depends on the diameter of the wheels you want for your car.
The bolt pattern (5x120) and wheel hub bore (72.5mm) will be identical
between E36 and E46 cars. In fact, those two variables will be identical
with all post-E30 3-series and derivative cars (Z3's, etc).

But the offsets may differ.
I'm not familiar with E46 wheel offsets, but 17x8.5" wheels in E36
application came with 41mm offset. Common aftermarket approximation is a
Porsche 38mm offset for both 17x8 and 17x8.5 wheels.

> be I ask because I went to eBay to see what kind of wheels were being
> sold, and WOW! Too many choices! Most were replica-type dealers listing
> 18 and 19" monstrosities in what has to be the eBay version of spam.

I would steer way clear of the following:
1. knock offs of any kind
2. OE BMW wheels (heavy, overpriced, soft cast alloys)
3. anything larger than 17" in diameter or heavier than 20lb/wheel

> I have learned that the E46 wheels (at least 16 or 17") should work on
> the E36. A lot of sellers were suggesting that a Z3 wheel from 1996-2000
> or 2001, would fit an E36.

Potentially true, but the devil is in the offset.
M-Z3s have a very wild rear wheel offset (20-something mm) that will either
NOT fit on other E36 cars altogether or stick way out of the wheel well.

> Even an E39 2002 525i wheel was mentioned as fitting 'most' 3 series.

That's bullshit.
For starters, 5-series cars have 74mm hub bore. AFAIK, the 5-series wheels
also have 20-something offset. You could fix the former with hub-centric
spacers, but not the latter.

> I seem to remember reading that a 2001 330Ci would be a different fit.
> Am I making this more difficult than it really is?

Yes.
Forget eBay and start reading the 'for sale' pages in the Roundel.

alex f