RE: Bilstein Sport Shochs on the rear of E36is

- -----Original Message-----
From: gbconnolly [mailto:gbconnolly@domain.elided]

> ...Question is, money definitely being a factor here as
> my son has a list of many minor appearance mods. that
> he wants to do on the car, can we go with a pair of new
> Bilstein Sports on the rear and leave the fronts
> (original factory sports) alone for now?

I recommend AGAINST doing this.

Putting fresh shocks in the rear of the car while keeping
old worn out shocks in the front will increase the
tendency of the car to oversteer during turn-in transients.
If your son is not an experienced performance driver, this
is not the way to set him up to learn.  He'll toss it
into a corner a bit too hard one day and he'll loop it,
possibly with very bad results.

I don't know you nor your son, and this is just my
opinion, but I would make this an opportunity to teach
him that the level of safety provided by a well-balanced
suspension set-up is much more important than any
appearance mods.

Best regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner