RE: Helmet for Octoberfast

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Braithwaite [mailto:brahtw8@domain.elided]

> ...Octoberfast requires Snell 90 or later, but I
> wonder if I should get a helmet that meets a more
> stringent spec., so it is not obsolete for other
> events.

You'd probably have trouble finding a NEW Snell 90
helmet these days.  The Snell 2000 spec has been
out long enough that it should not be hard to find
one that fits well.  Then you'll be set until ~2010
in most situations.

You also need to decide now if you'll ever try Club
Racing (or SCCA, etc.).  You'll need an SA rated
helmet rather than an M rated version for that, while
most "track day" type events allow you to use the M.

> I would also like to keep the cost under $300, if
> possible.

You won't get the fancy vented/drink tube/ultra light
weight kevlar helmets for that price, but you are in
the ball park for a very nice and safe helmet.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner