RE: API certs [and Amsoil...]

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 michael_kohlbrenner@domain.elided wrote:

> > > "SJ").  The manufacturer doesn't list a specific brand,
> > > but they do define the required oil by this widely used
> > > standard.  Amsoil didn't have this rating (they still
> > > may not -- I don't keep up with that pyramid marketing
> > > crap business...).
>
> > They're API rated.  Have been as long as I can remember...
>
> How long is that?  They weren't 5 years ago.  Check out
> this thread in rec.autos.tech from June 1997:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1229042024d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=5na8e9%24640%40newshost1.res.utc.com&rnum=1

 Well that is interesting.  I use the stuff and all the literature etc
says, for API SJ blah blah, yet the bottles seem not to have that
starburst thing.  So I don't know what to think and I'm too lazy to
call up Amsoil myself.  I'll still keep using it though.

> Amsoil may very well make some very good synthetic oil,
> but I simply refuse to even consider it for various reasons,
> not the least of which is their choice of pyramid marketing
> distribution.

 The marketing is goofy alright.  It is a valid method, but it
unfortunately attracts goofballs, as everyone has seen.  (Amway,
anyone?)

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro