RE: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid [and Amsoil...]

- -----Original Message-----
From: John Bolhuis [mailto:bolhuijo@domain.elided]

> I believe that BMW will release the requirements for the ATF
> if you ask, so you can make your own lube that conforms.
> But presently, only Shell has bothered to manufacture it.
> By doing so, they conform to the requirements of the anti-
> trust act.  It isn't their fault if nobody but one company
> wishes to make that ATF.

I have to admit that I threw this out there knowing that it
was a real stretch.  However, why do they make it so hard
for folks to get this special fluid?  How can they continue
to insist on this "lifetime fill" B.S. when these transmissions
are croaking after less than 125K miles?

> > "SJ").  The manufacturer doesn't list a specific brand,
> > but they do define the required oil by this widely used
> > standard.  Amsoil didn't have this rating (they still
> > may not -- I don't keep up with that pyramid marketing
> > crap business...).

> They're API rated.  Have been as long as I can remember...

How long is that?  They weren't 5 years ago.  Check out
this thread in rec.autos.tech from June 1997:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1229042024d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=5na8e9%24640%40newshost1.res.utc.com&rnum=1

It's a long link, so you may have to do some cut and paste.

Alternatively, go to:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Search on:
     Group              rec.autos.tech
     Author:            Feiereisen
     Date:              June 6, 1997

I got involved in that thread back then and couldn't
believe the way the Amsoil Moonies failed to understand
some very simple concepts of scientific study.

Amsoil may very well make some very good synthetic oil,
but I simply refuse to even consider it for various reasons,
not the least of which is their choice of pyramid marketing
distribution.  Personally, I can't even bring myself to
spend $4/qt for Mobil 1, let alone the even higher price
that Amsoil costs.  If I'm going to spend that much on oil,
I'd just get Redline.

Best regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner