Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

michael_kohlbrenner@domain.elided wrote:

> I don't call a transmission that needs replacement after
> only 125K miles "moving forward".

Generally, this has been the case since the ZF4HP22 was introduced in
~1984....unless it was the "sport"  EH model. (They could go sooner....)

> > ...and further more the advance of lubricant technology
> > makes the "lifetime" fluids possible.
>
> The only way I'll buy that is if "lifetime" is defined as
> "lifetime of the warranty".

"Lifetime" of the transmission...........

> You are going to have a hard time convincing me that ANY
> fluid will still be "good" after so many miles.  And I'm
> one who thinks that 3000 mile engine oil changes are
> excessive.
>
> > As I see it, everybody is having a hard time accepting
> > is the fact that these very complex first generation
> > digital five speed automatics are :
> >
> > 1. Designed to be Maintenance free....if there is hardware
> > problem, the unit is to exchanged. I can accept this as
> > reasonable service routine, except the price is very high
> > because there is a  relatively very small market for
> > rebuilt ZF 5HP30 units. ( as an example)
>
> You actually think that a 125K mile transmission (at any
> cost) is acceptable?

It's what has been going on..........with BMW or MBZ for the most part.
(they both use ZF designs.....)

> > 2. Will probably not last 200K miles no matter what you
> > do.......replacing the "lifetime" fluids is probably a
> > waste of money. This is the point which irritates everybody
> > who believed in the old routine of changing out the Dexron
> > regularly made the trans last 200K.
>
> How do you know this?

Well , this list is global.....
Anybody out there with 200K miles on the original ZF 5HP30 unit?
I also have my own informal survey........

> > These new fluids are not Dexron......
>
> I realize this.  I have no problem with the existence of a
> special fluid.  I have trouble with the claim that it will
> last 125K miles.  And I have trouble with the concept that
> it is somehow acceptable to have to drop huge money on a
> new transmission at a mere 125K miles.
>
> > ... If you examine your BMW or Mercedes or VW/Audi
> > (funny.....!) or Porsche (funnier.....!) at 125K miles for
> > mechanical integrity, for the most part a major rebuild of
> > the various mechanical systems is indicated.
>
> Shocks, suspension bushings, CV joints, wheel bearings, etc.
> I can accept.  Engine, transmission and body should make it
> to 200K miles these days.

Err, with the new all aluminium engines, the margin for any operational
errors(overheating for example) is smaller.

The 750i V12 was the earliest example, and it does not get to
200k......before oil consumption becomes horrendous.....from what I have
seen so far.
The 540/740 V8's also seem unlikely to reach 200k without protest......

> No wonder the Japanese sell more cars.

Yes, they are trying.........

Henri