RE: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 michael_kohlbrenner@domain.elided wrote:

> [...]

	Perhaps they did that on purpose so they can make money sooner
rather than later.

> > ...and further more the advance of lubricant technology
> > makes the "lifetime" fluids possible.
>
> The only way I'll buy that is if "lifetime" is defined as
> "lifetime of the warranty".
>
> You are going to have a hard time convincing me that ANY
> fluid will still be "good" after so many miles.  And I'm
> one who thinks that 3000 mile engine oil changes are
> excessive.

	You have a good point.  Everytime I see one of those Lifetime
warranties on any product, it makes me wonder...  If it's my lifetime, the
manufacturers lifetime or the products lifetime or as you just pointed
out, the warranty's lifetime.

> > As I see it, everybody is having a hard time accepting
> > is the fact that these very complex first generation
> > digital five speed automatics are :
> >
> > 1. Designed to be Maintenance free....if there is hardware
> > problem, the unit is to exchanged. I can accept this as
> > reasonable service routine, except the price is very high
> > because there is a  relatively very small market for
> > rebuilt ZF 5HP30 units. ( as an example)
>
> You actually think that a 125K mile transmission (at any
> cost) is acceptable?

	Not when the average is 200k miles now.

> > 2. Will probably not last 200K miles no matter what you
> > do.......replacing the "lifetime" fluids is probably a
> > waste of money. This is the point which irritates everybody
> > who believed in the old routine of changing out the Dexron
> > regularly made the trans last 200K.
>
> How do you know this?
>
> > These new fluids are not Dexron......
>
> I realize this.  I have no problem with the existence of a
> special fluid.  I have trouble with the claim that it will
> last 125K miles.  And I have trouble with the concept that
> it is somehow acceptable to have to drop huge money on a
> new transmission at a mere 125K miles.

	Yep, that's the main issue.  Since the fluid change is normal but
the parts not lasting 200K miles but only 80k miles is not a good thing.

> > ... If you examine your BMW or Mercedes or VW/Audi
> > (funny.....!) or Porsche (funnier.....!) at 125K miles for
> > mechanical integrity, for the most part a major rebuild of
> > the various mechanical systems is indicated.
>
> Shocks, suspension bushings, CV joints, wheel bearings, etc.
> I can accept.  Engine, transmission and body should make it
> to 200K miles these days.

	Yep unless they did that on purpose so they can squeeze the
ca$h out of you before you know it.

> > I put it to you that this is by design......... the complexity
> > of the new cars makes the rebuild expensive.
> >
> > This becomes another marketing catalyst to make people trade
> > in ( or recycle) and buy new........
>
> No wonder the Japanese sell more cars.

	And maintenence free ones too at that.  Now I know why Lexus has
such a good track record.

> Man, am I glad I have a 5-speed...

	Probably the best reason not to get a automatic.  I wonder if the
semi-automatic they use in the new M3 has the same issue as the ATF or is
it more like the 5 speed.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@domain.elided - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin