Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Randy S Whitney wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002, Vincent Poy <vince@domain.elided> wrote:

> > > Could you please elaborate.
>
> I believe I already saw a response from Henri, but I will emphasize
> you cannot substitute any other sort of ATF fluid for this trans or
> you run the risk destroying it in short order.

	Yep, after reading what Henri wrote and the URL's he provided, I
can see there is only one fluid you can use.  You can either buy it from
BMW dealers at MSRP or you can buy it from www.jie.com.

> > > I would advise to start by checking which transmission is installed in your
> > > car and contacting the manufacturer for the advise on which ATF to use.
> > > BMW dealer service departments are notoriously clueless and sales oriented.
> > > Unless you personally spoke to a wrench with 10+ years of experience and
> > > NOT a service "advisor", I would not put any faith in the advise your
> > > received.
> > 	Yep, a company will always recommend their own products over
> > anything else.  Just like you buy a Timex watch, they say to replace it
> > with a Timex battery but any battery from Renata, Energizer, Duracell,
> > Maxell, Varta, Panasonic will all work as good if not better than the
> > original battery.
>
> Each ATF fluid type is specially formulated.  The analogy only works if you
> are comparing say, a Pennzoil Dextron III fluid to a Texaco Dextron III
> fluid. (ie apples to apples)

	True.  I have no experience in the transmission area so didn't
know an apple from an orange when it came to fluids.

> > > Most likely not.
>
> Definitely not.
>
> > > BMW has never re-branded any RedLine products. But they had been known to
> > > resell Shell and now Castrol (the current Williams BMW sponsor) products.
>
> The special ATF is refined by Shell (Shell LA 2634)

	Since it's refined by Shell, is there a reason that Shell doesn't
sell it themselves?

> > Also, speaking about the
> > transmission, my friend said when he puts the transmission in reverse, it
> > has a delay of 2 seconds before the car would actually reverse with the
> > foot on the gas pedal, anyone knows what the remedy for this is?
>
> I'm afraid the vehicle might be headed for a transmission replacement in
> the near future. This was one of the first symptoms of my impending
> transmission failure. It took about 20-30K miles before the transmission
> finally went completely (@ 125K Miles)

	Interesting.  Does the entire transmission need replacement or
only certain parts?

> > > BMW NA stopped recommending transmission service in '98, exactly the year
> > > they started including 'free' 3 year/36K mile service with new cars.
> > > Prior to '98, transmission fluid flush was a part of Inspection II.
> > > Draw your own conclusions.
> > 	Interesting... So models prior to '98 actually required
> > transmission service?
>
> The E34 540i, or more accurately its ZF transmission, was one of the first
> "Lifetime Fluid" models. The ATF fluid change is not part of its Inspection
> II. Given that you are looking at a $6500 job, perhaps attempting a fluid
> change might be worth the $$$ and effort.

	That's true but will it help with that delay of 2 seconds reverse
problem is really the issue since it might be a waste in $$$ and effort
when one might as well replace the transmission.

> Regards,
> Randy.
> '94 E34 540i

	Finally, someone with a '94 540i.  I thought the list was either
dead or something since everytime I post about the 540i because of
questions from my friend, it seems no one replies except for Gary who is a
parts distributor.  I kind of feel bad that my friend didn't buy from him
since a lot of the parts he didn't have in stock and cost more than
jagworks.com.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@domain.elided - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin

End of bmw-digest V9 #2214