Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, ThreedB wrote:

> on 8/20/02 12:07 PM, Henri Baccouche at henrib@domain.elided wrote:
>
> > You missed my point.......Changing the fluid may not help.
> I got it.
>
> > What I am suggesting is that it may be more of a hardware failure than a
> > "lifetime" fluid  issue.
> > The fluid may not be the problem........
> Now we talk about the, "Chicken or the egg" problem.  When fluid oxidizes it
> loses its lubricating properties, hence, increased wear.  Increased wear is
> bad for everything.

	Yep and when something wears, nothing besides replacing the actual
parts with new ones will fix the problem.

> > The transmission rebuilders are not recommending that you change the
> > "lifetime" fluid on this trans.....
> > either....... :
> Why should they, it is in their best interest to sell you a rebuilt
> tranny...

	Ofcourse since they hope your tranny will not last long so you buy
more and they stay in business ;)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@domain.elided - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin