RE: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 michael_kohlbrenner@domain.elided wrote:

> This is an interesting issue.  In the U.S., there is
> something called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  Part of
> this act covers so-called "Tie-In Sales" Provisions.  From
> the Federal Trade Commission site:
> My understanding of this with respect to this topic (which
> may be wrong, of course...) is that if a manufacturer
> insists on a specific brand of replacement fluid in order
> to maintain warranty coverage, they must provide it free
> of charge.

 I believe that BMW will release the requirements for the ATF if you
ask, so you can make your own lube that conforms.  But presently, only
Shell has bothered to manufacture it.  By doing so, they conform to
the requirements of the anti-trust act.  It isn't their fault if
nobody but one company wishes to make that ATF.

> "SJ").  The manufacturer doesn't list a specific brand,
> but they do define the required oil by this widely used
> standard.  Amsoil didn't have this rating (they still
> may not -- I don't keep up with that pyramid marketing
> crap business...).

 They're API rated.  Have been as long as I can remember...

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro