E36 power steering question

Folks,
My wife's '98 328i has developed an engine bay groan that I suspect is
emanating from the power steering system.
It only happens when the car is warm, at low speed with RPMs below 900, and
the car turning. Even a little turn will wake it up.
I've checked the belts and they show no signs of slipping . Revving the
engine up kills the groan, so I am inclined to rule out the serpentine
belt.
The system is filled to spec with OEM power steering (Dexron III) fluid.
The fluid looked a bit murky and brownish to me (more so that in my '95
M3), but than again I do not know what color it was originally. I may drain
it out and fill the system with RedLine/Mobil 1 Dexron III ATF anyway.

Any other ideas?

I think the only way to drain the old power steering fluid is by
disconnecting one of the hoses from the pump. Which hose is the low
pressure one (think or think one)? I would prefer to mess with the low
pressure variety.

TIA,
alex f