Re: E34 oil leaks

Louis,
I had (have) a similar problem with my '92 535i. I fixed most of the oil leak
by doing the procedure that Brett Anderson describes on his web site
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/  Click on "Complimentary Repair Instruction by
Model", then "E34", scroll down to "Got an oil leak in the front of your
engine"
This will describe a procedure that worked for me, until I changed oil and put
in Mobil 1. The oil will leak through this bolt, run down the front and the
wind does the rest, pushing it to all the places that you mentioned. You can
check the cam seal very easily by removing the distributor cap & look at it.

 The best way to check where the oil is coming from, is to remove the bottom
plastic cover under the engine, take your car to a car wash and clean the
engine front from the top & bottom. Run the car for a short time & check to
see where the oil trail is. Your oil pan bolts will probably be a little
loose, which you should snug up (don't over tighten) Also check the other
front cover bolts, snuging them up as well. As for the transmission leak, I
have a 5 speed, so can't help you there?
Hope this helps

Richard V BMW CCA
Tarheel Chapter
'92 535i 5 speed