Re: E36 Squeaking Noise

"Kyle Robbins" <krobbins77@domain.elided> wrote:
> I currently have a '94 325i that is making a squeaking noise whenever
> the shock on the driver's side rebounds.  I've replaced the shock,
> along with the mount since I already had it out, which did not resolve
> the problem. The bolt attaching the shock to the lower trailing arm
> supposedly backed out according the shop that fixed it after having
> the rear bearings redone.  The noise started after they reattached the
> shock.  I just thought that since I was driving with it off it had bent
> the shock so that it rubbed when it compressed and decompressed.

Kyle,
I very much doubt you were driving with the shock entirely unbolted from
the trailing arm. The bolt attaching the bottom of the shock to the wheel
may have been loose, but you would have noticed immediately if it was
entirely off. The bouncing of an unhampered spring would have been
unmistakable.

> However, now it is still there even with a brand new shock.  Any help
> or ideas on what it could be would be appreciated.

Check the sway bar links and mounts.
The rear E36 sway bar mounts are a known week spot and may have started
coming apart. Or it could be something as simple as a loose sway bar link.
If you have aftermarket springs or sway bars, the bar may also be rubbing
against the arm. So check for any rub marks while you are in there.

alex f