  From: Nate Smith
  To: Christian Mulherin
  Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 9:43 PM
  Subject: Re: Standard Transmission & Shifter?

  your shifter problem is the external shift linkage support plate has come
  loose from its mounts on the back of the transmission.  This linkage
support
  plate mounts at the back of the transmission through "silentbloc" bushings.
  The bolts doing the mounting may have backed out, or the bushings
themselves
  may have worn out/broken, or the sheet metal of the shift support plate may
  have cracked.

  The shifter pivot point is no longer stable, so it becomes very hard to get
  into 2nd and 4th, and very hard to get out of the other gears.

  It's a little hard to get to, due to the exhaust and the driveshaft being
in
  the way.  One there, the repairs are minor.  But because of reduced access,
  I'd expect $200 or $250 as a repair cost.

      - Nate
  Nate Smith
  Optimal Auto Care - BMW
  2335 Soquel Drive