differential?

I was just reading Bimmer magazine, and one of the suggestions they had made
for faster acceleration in my 93 325is was to install a 3.38 differential.
I had thought about this previously, but not knowing much about it, and
seeing the differentials in Roundel and elsewhere being advertised at $1700,
I put it on the back burner.  But then I thought maybe I could find one at a
local junkyard from a wrecked M3. Anyone know the best way to identify the
3.38 differential?  By part number? Any idea what that would be? Any tips on
how to check one out ahead of time? Thanks in advance.

End of bmw-digest V9 #2193