Re: bmw-digest V9 #2180

At 01:32 PM 7/10/02, bmw-digest talked about:
>Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:36:48 -0600
>From: "Brian Kearney" <briank@domain.elided>
>Subject: e36 fuel gauge problem
>
>My 93 325is (75,000 miles) has just developed a problem with the fuel gauge.
>When I first start up in the morning, it reads correctly. But after I get to
>work and park the car, then go out in say, 20 minutes, when I start up again
>the gauge reads empty, and the warning light is on. If I leave the car to
>cool off for several hours, then go start it again, everything works until I
>shut down for a few minutes and start again. Obviously, it is heat related,
>but would it be a sensing unit in the tank, or something behind the dash.
>Maybe a relay? We've had temps around 96-103 for the past week, and this is
>the first time its shown up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Probably the sensing unit in the tank (I've had this problem on my '98 M3).

There are 2 sensors: one integrated into the fuel pump on the right-side of
the tank, and a sensor-only on the left-side. Now, you could replace one,
then the other, like I did, or do a quick test with an ohmmeter to
determine which one is bad.

According to my Bentley manual, you can check the resistance of the sensor.
It should be 10 ohms when the tank is empty, 250 ohm when full. Measure
both sensors and you should be able to tell which one to replace.

Hope that helps,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4
1993 325is #44 KP