<E36> Idle speed drop with A/C

ON my '94 325is I've been noticing that when the air conditioning is on
there is a tendency for the idle to drop and recover quickly when the
compressor cycles on.  Sometimes it feels like the engine could stall,
but it does recover RPM quickly.  At least I'm assuming that the
compressor is cycling on at that time because it's the only thing that
can possibly increase the load on the motor and, as I've said it's only
an issue when the A/C is on.  Since this has been a problem only this
summer season, I suspect that there may be a degradation to the A/C
circuit that is causing this.  A restriction that is increasing the load
on the compressor at start up and causing it to draw more power.  A
partially plugged orifice or a faulty receiver/dryer perhaps?

Has anyone experienced this before?  I would like to get feedback from
the BMW population at large before I bring the car in, just in case it
involves something I can work with.  Although I'm not well equipped to
work on the A/C system.