<e34> '90 535i AC R12->R134, one-touch, central locking

Hi - I have some questions for the cognoscenti. This list and other
sites have been invaluable in assisting me in the maintenance and enhancement of my car.

So, the questions:

1) I've been quoted in the neighborhood of $930 for:
    . evacuate r12 system
    . r/r compressor
    . r/r suction hose
    . r/r condensor (?) hose (the other rubber hose)
    . r/r evaporator
    . add r134 quick disconnects
    . charge system
    I'm supplying all of the parts, so this is mostly labor. Does this
sound reasonable? If not, what's fair?

    Looking at bmwe34.net, the upgrade sounds easy, but they're not talking about hose and compressor replacement. I'm a fair wrench, having done radiator, thermostat, water pump, power steering pump, speed sender, brakes and muffler on this car, as well as other incidental work. I'm a bit leery of AC work, though. If I were to tackle this, I'd have the r12 evacuated and the system vacuum/pressure tested and recharged by a shop. If I'm careful and use Bentley, am I heading into trouble or should I go ahead with a do-it-myself adventure?

2) I have one-touch driver's and sunroof. Should the front passenger's
be one-touch? When the driver's window is moving up and down initiated by a one-touch, operating any other window or the sunroof results in it stopping. Is this a bug or a feature?

3) I had a central locking problem where the front passenger door
intermittently wouldn't lock. The lock knob wouldn't move as far as the others. With some inspection and subsequent modification --- straightening --- of the rod that transmits motion to the door latching assembly, the passenger door now locks reliably for preventing outside access. However, if I lock the car doors from inside the car by pushing the driver's lock knob down, I can open the passenger door from the inside using the door opening lever. Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm trying to avoid
spending money, but I'm willing to spend money if it can't be fixed on the cheap. However, I'd prefer to replace the right part the first time as these components are fairly expensive. Any triage procedure would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to suggestions and advice.

Cheers,
Bob

End of bmw-digest V9 #2166