Re: Stalling E28...

In a message dated 6/27/02 2:58:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ron@domain.elided writes:

<< Boy this is getting really frustrating.

 I went out today to start the car and start troubleshooting the problem, and
 it was having a hard time starting, then when it did start it stalled out
everytime I let off the gas.  I drove it around the block and it does the
same thing let off the gas.  car stalls out. Wondering if it is becuase I
stalled the car out to get it to shut off the other day, when it wouldnt
cause of the key.>>

OK, first thing you need to do is use a spell checker when you post. The car
is a sophisticated machine, it is put off by poor spelling.

Everyone is going for the high tech solution using instruments and so on.
Spend a few minutes on a low tech one and use your eyes and powers of
observation.  There are no doubt two separate problems, one is potentially
electrical. The other is a massive vacuum leak caused when you stalled the
car to stop it. Look at the rubber boot where it goes to the throttle, see if
it has jumped off; see if the boot between the air filter and engine is torn
or awry. Same goes for the air intake boot  and the hose with the barbed
fitting. Any one of these can introduce a massive vacuum leak. Make certain
the dipstick is all the way in and not rattling when it is.
Michel
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BMWmodelcollectors/