RE: E30 transmission question

Tom inquires

> I need a 5 speed transmission for my 89 325i. I am aware of a 5 speed
> transmission from an 87 325e for sale. Is this likely to be the same
> transmission, or at least appropriate for use in my 325i?
> Were gear ratios
> different between the i and e? Thanks for advise.
> Tom

I believe most E30's used a Getrag 265 (or is that 260) transmission or
something like that.  I put a transmission from an '88 325(e) in my '87
325iS.  All that was required was an iS flywheel and clutch.  That wasn't
really necessary but I don't want to have to remember which parts came from
which car when replacing things.  The e transmission used the dual mass
flywheel, the iS did not.

I'm sure that others know more about this and will correct any errors.
Remember this information is presented with a double your money back
guarantee and is worth twice the paper it is printed on currently.

Regards,

Daniel L. Lowe
BMWCCA #93878
M535i SIG #103