Programa
561-338-8843
3500 NW 2nd Av.
Boca Raton FL 33431

They rebuild ECMS and PCBs for German cars. I think they rebuild heater
swords as well.

It cost $500 and totally fixed all of the problems.

And life was good.

OT

I just replaced the aux cooling fan in my 88 735i this week, and I removed
the low speed resistor, so both the ac switch and the lower High temp
radiator switch kick the aux fan on full blast..Seems to result in
noticeably cooler A/C and engine temps particularly while sitting.  I used a
$90 Imperial 16" fan from a discount auto chain.It fits well.  The fan I
took out was the same unit, as I replaced the OEM unit about 5 years ago.  I
guess I'm up to $180, which is still less than 1/2 the bucks of the OEM
I checked with the local A/C shop owner, and he thought that more airflow is
always better.

I wanted to see how much of the R-134 refrigerant leaked out over the
winter, and I found the coolest tool at Wal-Mart.. It is a tire pressure
style(pencil) gage , calibrated for testing the low pressure side of a home
or auto a/c..turn the system on, read the pressure with  the compressor
running.  I don't know if any leaked out, but the system was right in the
middle of the green band on the gage, so I left well enough alone.
Performance with the straight" evacuate system/pump in R-134" conversion
seems to be holding up for the second cooling season.  The system makes a
few more burping noises occasionally than it did, but has been consistent,
so I really don't think anything is grenading.

R134 costs $4.50 per can, R-12 is more like $40 with the license.  Old cars
seem to need A/c attention every year.(except for the GMs..really)

My entire lower valence grill is now held in with strategically placed black
Zip ties, and structural polyurethane glue with stainless steel safety wire
"rebar" embedded in it, and painted black....it is either the 234k miles in
Maine or  the five disassemblies ( two condenser core replacements,  two fan
replacements and the first fan resistor replacement ) of all that plastic
that is hard on the equipment.

Last week I replaced the front strut mount bearings and threw an old set of
barely used OEM Jurid brake pads in the front, cleaned and greased the
calipers.  I think the OEM pads I took out have at least 50,000 miles on
them, and they still weren't worn to the brake sensor trigger point!
Rotors, OEM were a few thousandths over the min. thickness, and still
straight with around 100k on them.  Good stuff this BMW OEM gear!

The month before I replaced the fan regulator sword and the steering shaft U
joint..

It is kind of a mixed blessing being able to fix your own sled..you never
actually need a new car, but you sure get a lot of wrenching  practice!  I
always ask myself the question " If someone gave it to me, would I fix it
and drive it?"  this is why my newest car is a 93  150k mile Suburban.

I never know what to tell people when they ask if these cars are
"dependable"

They run for beaucoup miles but you gotta fix em like any other machine I
guess.

Keep cool!

Dave Leonard