Help...92 535i

  I was driving 535i last week,running errands,involved
several stops.Early in the trip,the engine hesitated for
a split second and the "check engine" light blinked.
there were no other problems...car started and ran fine.
  The next day,the car refused to start...wasn't getting
fuel.(cranks)As per Bentley's,I've checked the fuel pump,
its relay,fuses,and the DME main relay...all pass the tests.
When the cars system is powered up and the key is turned,
The fuel pump isn't running...and the air control valve
hums....never any blown fuses during this whole problem.

Any ideas?....car has 164K

Thanks in advance
Dennis
d7nn7s@domain.elided