RE: GL4/GL5

- -----Original Message-----
From: alex.fadeev@domain.elided [mailto:alex.fadeev@domain.elided]

> If they had indeed put GL-5 lube in your transmission you
> would want to drain it and refill it with Gl-4 oil.

Furthermore, you might also want to confirm that BMW actually
specs MANUAL transmission fluid for your trans.  Somewhere
during the E34 years, they switched to using ATF in the
manual transmissions.  I know that this is what they call for
in my '92 535i 5-speed.  For effected transmissions, there is
a red or orange label on the trans itself which says "ATF..."
The label on mine is visible on the passenger side of the
trans without even jacking up the car.  I've got some Redline
D4-ATF ready to go once I get around to it.

With that said, the Bentley manual does state that MTF can be
used if there are shiftability issues.  There have been plenty
of reports of folks using Redline MTF with good results.

If you have already been through this and know that you do
indeed need MTF, then nevermind...

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner