Re: #2143 ... <E30>Removing Stubborn Brake lines.

Hi Robert,

A year or so ago I replaced all the brake hoses with ss lines. This was an '87 325is
and the hoses looked to be original. I can't remember all the details of the problems
encountered but do know that the short hoses in the rear near the differential were
among the worst, mainly because of the access issue. These needed some combination of
flare nut &/or regular craw foot wrenches on long extensions, etc. I wound up buying
flare nut crawfoot wrenches just for this job because rounding off the edges would've
been a nightmare.

When trying to loosen the little nuts on the piping end, only use flare nut wrenches
& not open end. If you round off the edges too much you'll be in a much worse
predicament. I also start a few weeks in advance by soaking all the connections with
liquid wrench and I repeat that application a few more times before starting. I know
I needed to also use a propane torch to heat up some of the connections. It's also
quite possible I delivered a few hard whacks with a hammer to encourage the
particularly troublesome connections.

Hope this helps.
Kevin