Re: E28 - Front Seat Backs

Phil:
The sport seats are definitely interchangeable, and the backs alone are
also interchangeable.  However it sounds from the armrest that yours are
the non-sport type seats, so YMMV.
Removing the seatbacks is fairly simple:
- -tilt seatback full forward
- -remove two screws from bottom edge of back cover
- -pull bottom edge out an inch or so and wiggle the cover toward the top
of the seat (to disengage two "hook tabs" near the top of the seat
back).
- -find and remove two screws about 4-6 inches up from the bottom.
- -locate the headrest motor wire connector and unplug.
(the complication here, sorry it was 2 years ago I had mine apart, is
that the connector may be below the seat and wire fed through the hinge,
in which case this is easier done with the whole seat out of the car.)

If you swap the whole seat, you'll have to also swap the inside seatbelt
anchor, and probably the side trim on the seat.

Also, I had the seat and back side bolster leather replaced on mine for
about $175, well worth it.

Steve Poland
'88 535is
Portland, OR