Re: Brake Lining Light

David W. Reichel writes:

My "brake lining " dash light comes on intermittently and some times
stays on for an extended period of time before going out.  I have check
the pads and they are good. What causes this problem?

David the warning light is controlled by an electrical circuit that
monitors a "series loop" that extends through 2 small sensors, one on
the right rear wheel and the other on the left front.

The sensors slip into a slot on the edge of the pad.

If the pads wear to the point that the sensors come into contact with
the rotors, or any fault that causes them to be electrically grounded,
or should the circuit go open, then the warning lamp will come one.

The fact that yours is "intermittent" sounds like you have a faulty
sensor, or the wiring to it.

On thing to look for is the condition of the sensor wire. It extends
back to a connector on the body of the car - usually in some small
holder or bracket in the wheel well.

NOTE - it is important to get the correct sensor for your car - the
wiring tale must be the proper length to route from the pad to the
connector with appropriate slack so that it does not rub on components
and so that the connector can be properly mounted in its holding
bracket.

If that wire, or connector, is deteriorated to the extent that the
electrical connection is "iffy".  One thing to consider is the wiring
"on the car side" of the connector.

If that connector has not been held solidly in place in the bracket then
the movement of the car will cause it to bounce up and down. That can
eventually cause the wire to go open inside - just were it flexes the
most at the edge of the connector.

If that is the case then you will have to either slice open the
connector and try to repair the wire inside, or get a used one somewhere
and replace (I don't think the dealer sells just the connector since it
is part of the harness).

I am not sure if your system is the type that the light goes on and off
directly with the fault being there of not. I think that is the case
with your vintage as opposed to later ones that the fault is set and
only clears after the ignition is cycled a few times.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jim Cash

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of image001.jpg]