pre- vs. post-OBD for an M3--which??

For an impending M3 purchase, I would be interested in people's opinions
about the advantages and disadvantages of OBD on the E-36 M3. Correct me
if I am wrong, but I believe the 1996 M3 does not have OBD, but later
M3s do. OBD allows more efficient diagnosis of faults, but is there a
downside? Is the pre-OBD version better in some way for someone who does
as much of his own mechanical work as possible but who does not have all
the latest BMW factory diagnostic stuff to connect the OBD to in his
garage?

I notice there are very few '96s for sale, in a sea of '95s. I think I
know why people are selling '95s, but the lack of '96s is a bit
puzzling. Ideas?

Thanks!
Peter Cain