What is in that transmission ?

Dear all

In a somewhat obsessive quest for the best fluid to change the one in my 99
323i Getrag 5sp manual I've ventured in a dubious world of Service Advising.
The search for answers started with the call to BMWNA.

Me: what is the fluid in my transmission?
Helpful person on the other end: we do not know, go ask your dealer.
Me: Can you at least tell me the grade requirements (as in GL-1, GL-2)
HP: beats me, go talk to the dealer...
Me: is there someone at the factory that might know?
HP: go talk to the dealer...

Next call is to (three guesses, anyone?) the dealer -- (John Roberts of
Austin,TX)

Me: what is the fluid in my transmission?
Helpful service advisor: (after checking with somebody else) Any ATF will
do!
Me: Dextron II?
HSA: Sure!
Me: What will it cost me?
HSA: $38.12 + tax, fluid is extra
Me: Can I bring my own Redline?
HSA: sure thing, come on by and we'll put it in for you!

This is where a spec of paranoia started creeping in. Mysterious lifetime
fluid (BMW_MT_LT_1 per Bentley) to be replaced with 2$bottle ATF ? I should
get second opinion.

This next call is to other dealer (Moritz of Arlington,TX)

Me: what is the fluid in my transmission?
HSA: I don't know what it is, but it costs $700 per change.
Me: so Redline ATF would not do?
HSA: nope...
Me: I am not comfortable with this lifetime fluid idea...
HSA: these transmissions do not break, yadda...yadda....if not broke don't
fix it blah....blah...german engineers designed it to last forever....(at
this point one hears the sound of flapping wings...them pigs flying again
:))

So what is in my tranny? I think I could have better luck asking checkout
clerk at the local supermarket. At least one of these "reputable" places has
to blowing smoke up my muffler. Doesn't it bother you when you can't get a
strait answer from somebody who should know?

Philip
99 5sp 323i 60K
BMWCCA #282935