Seeking advice on used BMWs

Hi,
     I just subscribed and I'm considering looking for a used BMW and
I'm seeking help and direction in what to look for and what to avoid.
     I would be looking to possibly replace my current "weekend" car, an
'88 Porsche 924S, with something a bit more practical and fitting for my
now 40 year old body and soul.  Since it's not my daily driver, I would
want it to be fun and sporting, yet reliable and comfortable.  Having
just got back from a 2000 mile road trip with my Porsche, I can say it's
been a great car - rock solid and steady at 80mph+ speeds.  But the car
is light, dated looking, and very expensive to maintain.  The cockpit is
also getting a little on the uncomfortable side for my aging body.
     I generally feel cars are a bad "investment", so I want to keep
this purchase in the range of from about 7K-12K.  I don't mind high
mileage if the car has been well cared for and not in a big accident.
I'd like a decent interior and exterior - one I won't be embarrassed to
be seen in, but I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.  Good handling
and no shake/shimmy at highway speeds are a must, and I prefer a manual
tranny.  I can perform minor repairs and maintenance myself - but I
don't have the time for major items.
     I really don't know much about BMWs, or the general differences
between the 3 and 5 series'. I do know I prefer the more modern look of
the 3 series front end made from '92 and later.
     I know there are plenty of BMWs out there for me to look at and it
seems overwhelming to me at this point.  I wanted to get the opinion of
people about what years might have specific problems, recommendations on
3 vs. 5 series, and in general what I should look for and where to look.
     Any help at or referrals are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
http://lightandsilver.com