1995 BMW 740iL A/C question

Ok, I just had the inspection II done on my 1995 740iL at my local
dealership ($$$), and they just replaced the condenser for the A/C, as well
as charging with refrigerant ($$$$).  They tell me that the auxilary cooling
fan for the A/C system has seized.  They promised that it wouldn't affect my
A/C efficiency, unless I was stopped in heavy traffic on a hot day.

Excuse my mechanical ineptitude, but a few questions:

1.  Is this a common failure?
2.  What are the problems it may cause if I don't fix it?  (I fully intend
to, despite being one cheap b*st*rd, but just curious as to the downside)
3.  Is this something that can be repaired, or does it have to be replaced?
4.  If it has to be replaced, is there a cheaper alternative than buying a
new one from the dealer (used?  a non-BMW replacement?  A cheaper parts
source?)
5.  To replace, the dealership said that they typically remove the front
bumper.  True?  Worth it?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

vty,

- --Dennis

BMW 740iL
Ferrari 355 Berlinetta