<E36> Shimmy in steering

I have a 1994 318IS with 84K miles on it.  It's developed a shake in
the steering wheel at 50mph on a smooth road.  If I let go of the wheel
it oscillates back and forth about 1 to 2 inches.  This happens with
two different sets of wheels and tires, new brake rotors and lower ball
joints.  I've rechecked the rotors with a dial indicator to make sure
they
are true.  The oscillation is amplified when the brakes are applied
lightly.
Heavier brake application seems to stop the shake.

Any suggestions about what might be the cause of this problem would be
appreciated.

Jon Berry