Re: 1991 318 PURCHASE

Henry,

Most definitely, find out whether the profile gasket has been replaced.
These WILL fail, and it WILL cost over $1000 to repair.  The head must be
removed to repair the gasket.

Read about it here:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/engine/all_m42_profile_gasket_faq.html

or do an Internet search on 'E30 profile gasket'

If it hasn't been replaced (or the previous owner can't prove that it's been
replaced), either walk away from the purchase, or negotiate the cost of the
profile gasket replacement into your sale price.

Besides that, the normal wear and tear items on an E30 (front control arm
ball joints, control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, rear subframe
bushings, wheel bearings, electrical gremlins (central locking, power
windows, blower motor runs at all speeds, SRS light, CE light) should be
checked.  Does the radio show 'CODE'?  Does the owner have the radio code?

You can tell if the rear bushings are worn if the rear of the car feels
loose when going around turns.

Also, check to see if the car has any stored engine computer codes:

http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/fault.html

Also, be sure to check the condition of the battery, and the battery
compartment, to make sure that it doesn't have a leaking battery, or has
been damaged in the past by battery acid leakage.

Good luck.  The 1991 E30 318i is a fun car!

- -rb