Re: Belt change on e46 (M52TU engine)

Phillip,

If the tensioner is anything like the tensioner on my M50 engine (525iT) or
S50TU engine (E36 M3), the hex head fastener is in the center of the
tensioner wheel.  The tensioner wheel has a plastic cover that must be
removed to reveal the hex fastener.

Then, as Bentley says, use a hex wrench (I used a hex adapter and a ratchet
handle), and rotate to retract the tensioner wheel's hydraulic cylinder, to
remove tension from the belt.  Then, while tension is removed, slip the belt
off of a pulley.

I was able to replace the belts on my 535iT without removing the fan, but
there may not be enough clearance on your car to do this, so you may need to
remove the fan (attached to the fan clutch) to gain access to the tensioner.

Hope this helps,

- -rb