E36 radiator woes

I know somebody on the list just recently ran into this, but I didn't keep
the post. '93 325is, about 170K - top radiator hose fitting snapped on its
own. (Yeah, I caught it before I overheated.)

I'm told from a respected source that it's a common deal, and the best thing
to do is replace the radiator, since the material gets brittle after this
many years of heat cycling. Makes sense to me.

Figured I'd throw it out to the list anyway. Any way to fix this w/o
replacing the radiator, or is replacement the most wise move?

Thanks.
- -Gene