'72 2002tii--restore or sell?

Folks,

I'm inquiring for a friend who wonders whether it's worth restoring the
body of his '72 2002 tii or just selling it.

He's been told about $3-4,000 for the restoration (needs paint, and it
got rear ended--damaging the trunk lid and rear panel).

So, my question on his behalf--is it worth it?  If he did fix it up,
what could he sell it for (his intention), versus just selling it as
is--what might it fetch from an enthusiast willing to do the work on
it?  Recaro seats, newish shocks

Cordially,

Doug