RE: Planning ahead - winter tires/wheels

Dave,

I can't advise on wheel types for your 540, but I am about to take off my
new-to-this-season winter wheels on my Z3.  For the rims, I ordered a set of
Borbet Type S (minus 1") from tire rack.  Not bad looking, and cheap (seeing
that I'm only using them for 3 months.)  For tire's I chose the Nokian
Hakkapeliitta NRW's.  They are not quite as aggressive in the snow as the
orignal Hakkapeliitta's, but are far superior on dry roads (where snow tires
get driven 95% of the time around here.)  I've only taken them up to about
100 (though they are H rated), but they are very stable and rather quiet as
far as snow tires go.  Don't get me wrong, they are at LEAST as good as any
Pirelli or Michelin in the snow, but I was very impressed with "performance"
of this snow tire.  I think you can search for dealers on their site
(www.nokiantires.com)  (...no financial interest, etc, etc...)  Good luck.

- -Ryan
Boston, MA

'01 BMW Z3 2.5i
'92 Alfa Romeo 164S

>It's off-season and I'm looking to buy a set of wheels and tires for
next winter. What do you guys suggest as a good wheel/tire combo.