Re: wacky service lights

> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:47:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: Henry Brandel <brandel_88@domain.elided>
> Subject: wacky service lights
>
> '84 325e's service light problem.
> When I put my key into the ignition, prior to start up, my service indicator lights all light up
> normally however.........
> Some times the lights stay off, and sometimes 4 green ones stay on.
> There doesn't seem to be any consistency as to when this occurs. Does anyone have any ideas why
> this could happen. The car runs fine in either case.
> thanks
> Henry

I had this same problem on an '84 318i that I had.  The problem is cracked
solder joints on the instrument cluster PCB.  You'll have to take the
instrument cluster out, take it apart, and fix all of the bad solder
joints.  When I did this, everything started working correctly.

While you're in there, I'd recommend replacing the rechargable batteries.
The batteries are AA rechargeable Ni-Cads that you can find anywhere.

Hope this helps,

Erik.

End of bmw-digest V9 #2094